Carbon monoxide can be deadly when inhaled. Each year, more than 300 Americans die from carbon monoxide exposure in their homes, and thousands of other people require medical attention due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that is produced by the incomplete burning of solid, liquid, and gaseous fuels. Any fuel-burning appliance that is not adequately vented or maintained can produce carbon monoxide. Car engines and charcoal grills produce carbon monoxide as well.
Breathing carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms such as headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness. At high levels, carbon monoxide exposure can cause loss of consciousness and death.
Fortunately, there are some easy and economical precautions that every homeowner can take to help keep family members and guests safe from carbon monoxide. In addition to preventing carbon monoxide hazards, an important step is to install carbon monoxide detectors with audible alarms in your home.
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips (PDF)
Review this checklist for details about carbon monoxide detectors and general guidelines to prevent carbon monoxide hazards
Note: To view and print files available in Adobe® Portable Document Format (PDF), please download a free copy of the Reader®.